Monday, January 27, 2014

Chad as a project

For me, college has been a (very) long, ongoing,  "project". As I am a so-called non-traditional student, my goals and needs as a student may be somewhat different than others. Before transferring to Edgewood I spent a lot of time bouncing between programs trying to find pretty much anything I could tolerate not relating to computers, only to realize a long way down the road that computers and technology were my passion and interest. 

So, for now my goals include finding a niche that I enjoy. Developing my skills and knowledge in that niche. Networking with other students and professionals in the field in order to secure internships, learn more about the industry, and figure out a potential career path. Presently I am focusing heavily on finding an internship and figuring out what I am most interested in. 

As far as a timeline goes, I am currently in my 2nd year at Edgewood but I am technically a Junior. My hope is that I will have completed the first of at least 2 internships by the end of this year (2014), and have found a niche to focus on for the future. 

I am planning on graduating in May of 2016, but earlier if possible. As mentioned before, I hope to complete at least 2 internships before then or order to further my experience and skill sets. My goals after graduation would be to find full-time employment in the field and apply to graduate school for library and information science. 

My long-term goal is to work in an academic library as a library technologist, focusing on library websites, integrating technology into the library system, and developing technology related curriculum. 


1 comment:

  1. It seems that we have a lot in common in terms of how we bounced around with uncertainty before finally deciding what type of careers we want to pursue. We also have similar goals for our future and are both trying to weigh our options on what specialization we will go with in computer science after we graduate.

    ReplyDelete